Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

What Would Adam Smith Do?

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:52 pm

City Hall debates living wage for employees

Published March 6, 2008 by David Wilson in Viewpoint

“It is but equity, that they who feed, clothe and lodge the whole body of people, should have such a share of the produce of their own labour as to be themselves tolerably well fed, clothed and lodged.â€

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm not sure what their point is... minimum wage is irrelevant in this city where even 7-11 is paying $12/hr...

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:59 pm

The point is the irony of quoting Adam Smith the father of Free Market.

That in a Free Market that each person is to earn a living on wage paid by their employer that is suffient to survive and also prosper.

Don't you find it a little bit deplorable that a city such as Calgary is not paying a living wage.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:39 pm

what is a "living wage"?

You can feel free to post a job at "minimum wage" if you want in this city, but you will never get it filled.

The lowest dollar value I've seen advertised around here is $11.50/hr

That's $24,000/yr, sure it's not a lot, but it is plenty to live off if you have some degree of money sense.
And that's the LOWEST I've seen around here, if you're actually willing to work you're pretty much guaranteed more than that.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:43 am

Minimum wage implies that if they could pay you less they would.

I am in favour of the living wage approach as expoused by Adam Smith.

Time to make the Free Market system work as it was intended.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 am

Time to make the Free Market system work as it was intended.
considering that no company in the city pays "minimum wage" and they ALL pay more than "minimum" I would say the system IS working.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:49 am

So do you think that Living Wage should replace Minimum Wage?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:03 am

I think that the minimum wage is irrelevant if nobody is paying it.
I think that there should be no minimum wage and companies should be allowed to set whatever wage they deem fit.

If the wage is too low they won't have any employees and they'll have to raise it, the government doesn't need to get involved.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Minimum wage in Alberta is raising on April 1, new minimum wage will be $8.40 up from $8.

This puts us at the 3rd highest minimum wage in Canada (the highest being Ontario at $8.75)

Only 3.5% of employees in Alberta earn minimum wage.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:02 pm

3.5% equal 70,000 people.

Poverty Line in Calgary is $12/hour.

40 cent increase, big deal.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:17 pm

you're telling me that people earning $2000/month are having trouble getting by? I would say they should look at their priorities... they can either find a higher paying job (easily done anywhere in Alberta) or cut back on some of their luxuries, anyone that can't survive on $2000/month gets no sympathy from me.

"poverty"?? who comes up with those figures anyway???

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:25 pm

you're telling me that people earning $2000/month are having trouble getting by? I would say they should look at their priorities... they can either find a higher paying job (easily done anywhere in Alberta) or cut back on some of their luxuries, anyone that can't survive on $2000/month gets no sympathy from me.

"poverty"?? who comes up with those figures anyway???
Maybe you can get Telus to roll back you wages to $12 so you can have a go at it.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 pm

I didn't say I would WANT to live that way, only that I could.

people have the right to work hard and earn more money, and I think I have done that. but don't expect me to feel sorry for someone who makes enough money to afford a roof over their head, 3 meals a day, and still have money left over to go to the bar on the weekend...

I'll start to feel sorry for someone only if I know that they are actually working hard to support themselves, and still can't afford to eat (assuming they've got their priorities straight, I see too many people who would rather spend money on cigarettes and alcohol than on food and lodging)

I'm not saying that $12/hr is luxury living, I'm just saying it's plenty to live on.

For that matter, $8/hr is still over $16,000/yr, and 100% tax free as it's below the basic exemption... that's over $1000/month, on that you'd have to share accommodation, but you wouldn't starve to death.

if you want to earn more, get trained in something, ANYTHING and work at it. it's not hard to make 3-4 times that in Alberta right now without even needing any specialized education, all you need to have is the willingness to get off your butt and work!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:27 am

Where *did* this number come from?

Find - Desiderata - read it

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

There is a lot of chatter abotu this.

Here is a CBC link about the city of calgary....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/ ... -wage.html

They are looking at $13.25........

TWwho?

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”