Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Union Dues for Politcal Puposes

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Union Dues for Politcal Puposes

Postby NC » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 pm

There is a fight brewing that I think a few people on this site will find interesting. The first two combatants are pretty straightforward.

The BC Teachers Federation (BCTF) and some very huge public sector unions (I will find out who the others are) have launched a law suit challenging the election campaign spending limit imposed by the BC Government. This legislation came into being on or about the time that Alberta went through that Stelmach hate ad campaign that was put together by Alberta Unions, using member's dues.

So the Gov't and the Unions are going to duke it out in the courts using tax payer and union and member dues. That alone is enough to make my stomach hurt.

Enter of the third party. It seems two members of the union's involved feel that the gag law might be a good thing because they oppose the position that their union takes and dislikes the fact that their forced dues from their forced membership will be used for purposes they don't support. These two ladies are applying in the courts to become party to these proceedings.

I went to court myself and watched as the lawyers for these two ladies called "Applicants", made arguments as to why they should be allowed and lawyers for the government made arguments for why these two union members should be allowed. I also, not surprisingly listened to the unions argue that these two ladies, members of their union, had no standing in these matters. This position is made even more galling by the fact that the plaintiff, that is the one who is being held up as being harmed by the election gag law is a third lady who is a member of the union.

Let's go over those facts quick again: a union member is suing the B.C. government because she thinks her union should be able to spend as much money as they want. Two different union members who oppose the union's political views want the spending limit kept in place because they feel the union does not represent their views.

I will put this up in more detail in the next few days but I have to tell you it didn't help my opinion of unions to hear them argue as to why the union member who supports the union gets all the dues money they want to spend while the two who oppose the union did nothing, indeed write the cheques themselves.

We live in interesting times.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:38 am

The curtain has gone up, and the music is starting as the players begin to take to the stage.
Use of employee dues for political spending: Click ===> My Dues. My Views

I am digging around to find more and have asked the ICBA folks to send me what they have. I doubt the BCTF will be sending me much, regardless of asking.

Vaughn Palmer has a piece out Read the whole thing here

Palmer speaks with Brad Zubyk, the NDP Campaign guru who tells some interesting facts:
"During that time", [BC 2005 Election] continues the voice from the NDP war room, "the NDP ran an election campaign that was closely coordinated with the campaigns of major labour groups in the province.
Which is nothing new to me, but I like this bit:
"One of the things that some major unions would do for the NDP during this campaign was to share contact information of their members with the party."

This quasi-merger of the lists would "permit more accurate and efficient use of voter identification resources and permit those [union] members to be targeted with messaging supportive of the NDP and designed to ensure that members supportive of the NDP vote on election day."
Any Alebrtans want to comment on this, after the Stelmach debacle?

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 am

I would haved loved them to contact me...lol...they would have heard a few things they didn't want to hear, but seriously the union should not be passing out my information without my permission. That seems to be common sense but union common sense, an oxymoron.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 am

They never needed your permission to GET your information, so why do you think they wouldn't pass it on to others without permission?

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I know!!!!...lol.... :lol: :lol:

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:20 pm

If the union doesn't get the information they want they will just make it up anyway...... :?

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:23 pm

News item on this... fairly obvious results

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/poll1/643459

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 pm

I wonder what it will take to get this situation to change.......?

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:20 pm

People like us to drive the issue into the light. Get people to that site, get them realizing what is actually happening. that is what I am doing with this site.

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”