Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

CAW and CEP to Merge?

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

CAW and CEP to Merge?

Postby NC » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 am

An interesting potential but I am not sure the world needs a bigger union and I think that they are missing the real challenge which is to give the member more of a voice, but that would mean that they (Union leaders) have less of a voice.

I think this will generate some discussion if there are any readers left out there. I have been too busy with a real job to do much here but I hope to rectify that.

CEP-CAW New Union Discussion - Process Protocol & Timetable

CAW / CEP Discussion Paper

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: CAW and CEP to Merge?

Postby NC » Mon May 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Ken Lewenza is back with more news about why this merger is "An idea that could save unions".

It is being suggested that this new union emerged from the CAW and the CEP would open their arms to allow unemployed, not presently unionized, and retired people to become members. Lewenza also hints that this new group might also be able to get pensions and benefits. He is distinctly vague about this point though.

It got me thinking about *why* they would offer this to people, unless it was just for the dues. First thing I thought of was that they could say that unionization was going up in Canada, but that seems like a pretty meager reason to go through the effort. The political power in doing this is beyond question, granted, the union can say "Our members support greater EI allowances", and so on, but I don't think that's it.

Then I thought about the people they are targeting to be members of their union: unemployed, union free, independent contractors, retired people… and probably more. I think I may have figured it out, especially when you consider some of the provinces in Canada that allow transfer of union membership from one job to another.

If you are a member of a union in Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and construction in Ontario your membership in the union can be used to apply for certification of any of your employers. Now, to be clear I am not exactly positive about this but it seems that if all of the independent contractors working in say, construction in one of these jurisdictions joined this new union, this new union can effectively use their membership as a "yes" vote in a certification drive.

Now, to be fair, this union would not be able to certify construction workers in Ontario because they are not *yet* a recognized construction industry union, and though that might change, it is not the case right now. The other provinces however, Alberta in particular, this would create a pretty big pool of salt workers for use in union drives.

Again, this is all opinion but I am interested in watching how this plays out.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: CAW and CEP to Merge?

Postby NC » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 am

The CEP seems to be wandering around merging it's collective face off..

http://www.lrb.bc.ca/decisions/B107$2012.pdf

I wonder how those two CMAW locals feel about knowing they will soon be part of a CAW / CEP "Superunion".

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”