Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

decertify in alberta

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
veradero
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
Employer: hertz
Union: teamsters

decertify in alberta

Postby veradero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:38 pm

we are trying decertify where i work. can the union kick me out of the union for trying to decertify? i am in the alberta labour code

veradero
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Re: decertify in alberta

Postby veradero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:11 pm

also can they threaten to fire me or fine me?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 am

Your union will try to do anything if they think you are trying to decertify them. The most certainly can't do anything to you for trying to decertify them. Decertification is a process under the Alberta Labour Code, it is protected.
Discrimination, etc.
22 No employer or trade union or any person acting on their behalf shall discriminate against a person in regard to employment or membership in a trade union, or intimidate or coerce a person or impose a pecuniary or other penalty on a person, because the person

(a) has testified or otherwise participated in or may testify or otherwise participate in a proceeding authorized or permitted under a collective agreement or in a proceeding under this Act,
(b) has made or is about to make a disclosure that the person may be required to make in a proceeding authorized or permitted under a collective agreement or in a proceeding under this Act, or
(c) has made an application or filed a complaint under this Act.
I added the emphasis.

As for the fines, the union, as noted above, cannot fine you either. *Now* that won't stop them from trying, it just means they are not allowed to do it. They probably have a clause in the Constitution that says they will do it, regardless of the fact that it is illegal.

Who is the union, I will find their Constitution and have a look.

Be sure your decert window is open and that, being in Alberta, you use their petition form correctly. I notice that you have stated you are not in the Federal Sector so I can asusme you have not made that mistake.

If you need more help let us know.

Find - Desiderata - read it

veradero
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby veradero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 pm

thats good news!! its the teamsters union. the decert window IS open. we have collected about a third of whats needed. we are new at this so any info given is greatly appreciated.

veradero
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby veradero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 pm

also, can the union FREELY walk around and talk to the employees of the company and interrupt company business?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:08 pm

The Union is not supposed to be allowed to "walk around freely" discussing the Union (notice the big "U"). Are you talking about employees, or Union staff? Employees who are supportive of the Union have a lot of latitude to discuss how great the union is, just like you and the people who do not support the union have a lot of latitude to express your opinions.

The representatives of the Teamsters are not supposed to be campaigning in your workplace on company time and if your employer has any cajones they should be addressing that. If all of you (supporters & non-supporters) are spending all sorts of company time standing around in groups discussing this then your employer should address that too.

Basically, you are allowed to discuss *anything* when you are working, the trouble is, that “discussing” can be construed as a lot of different things depending on who’s listening.

You can get your message out lots of different ways but the most important thing is that it is driven by the employees only, not your employer. You will need help from people who support you. You have the right to do this and get as many people as you can out getting signatures on your petitions (I think Alberta is ONLY petitions right?).

If there are things you specifically need you can ask for them here on the site. Get your supporters involved in this site, they can ask questions themselves.

Send anything you need posted to nc@labourtalk.org and I will post it here. If you would rather have a “private room” here I can arrange that too.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”