Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Support Bill C-377

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Support Bill C-377

Postby NC » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I thought there would be a petition on line to support this, I found one. It won't do a damn thing but it made me feel better.

http://www.activism.com/en_CA/petition/ ... nions/9588

I am going to add any others I find here.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Support Bill C-377

Postby NC » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 pm

In the USA, unions *must* report their finances, publically and openly. That makes it possible to see where the corruption and abuse is. Unions in Canada tell us they are open with their financials... here's why union members should petition their union's to support Bill C-377.

(I forgot to say, these are all in the last few months)
FBI Raid Shows New York Unions Are Still Mob Targets
On April 18, an 18-count indictment was unsealed in Brooklyn federal court charging 11 arrestees with racketeering, embezzlement, extortion and other offenses.
Texas Local AFGE Ex-President Charged with Theft
On November 8, Roberto Macias Jr., former president of American Federation of Government Employees Local 2759, was charged in the 4th Judicial District Court, County of Rusk, Texas, with theft in the amount of $2,800 from the El Paso-based union.
Former President of Florida AFGE Local Charged with Fraud
On November 13, Danny Hubbard, former president of American Federation of Government Employees Local 1380, was charged in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida in a 24-count indictment with wire fraud from the Panama City, Fla. union.
Machinists Local Secretary-Treasurer in Indiana Pleads Guilty
On November 13, Robert Stephenson, former secretary-treasurer of International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 2903, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana to omitting information on union financial reports related to his embezzlement of approximately $18,000 in local funds he diverted to his own personal use.
Minneapolis CWA Financial Secretary Pleads Guilty to Theft; Sentenced
On November 14, Dennis Earley, former financial secretary of Communications Workers of America Local 87140, pleaded guilty in Hennepin County Court of Minnesota to theft by swindle of more than $5,000 from the Minneapolis-based union.
Letter Carriers Ex-Treasurer in Georgia Indicted for Fraud, Theft
On November 15, Joseph Allen, former treasurer of National Association of Letter Carriers Local 588, was indicted in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia on one count of bank fraud, one count of providing a false statement to a credit union, one count of filing a false financial report, and six counts of embezzling a combined $3,107.73 in funds from the Athens, Ga.-based union.
California Police Officers Local President Charged with Theft
Prosecutors see it as stealing. Askia "A.J." Johnson sees it as creative borrowing. And he's shown a willingness to pull out the stops to make his point. Over a year and a half ago, Johnson, formerly an officer with the Half Moon Bay Police Department and president of its union, the Half Moon Bay Police Officers' Association, was charged in San Mateo County (Calif.) Superior Court with embezzling about $5,700 in union funds.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Support Bill C-377

Postby NC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 pm

The next vote is tonight between 5:00 and 7:00 pm (Eastern)

You can click on this link to watch it live: http://www.cpac.ca/eng/direct/cpac1

Should be interesting.

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”