Read the whole story HEREMONTREAL—A rare labour victory in organizing workers at a Wal-Mart in Quebec is in jeopardy as those very workers seek to show their union the door.
It’s an ironic twist for the United Food and Commercial Workers union after battling for so long to unionize Wal-Mart’s Canadian stores, attracting international attention in the process.
Employees at the Wal-Mart outlet in Saint-Hyacinthe, Que., the first store to successfully sign a collective agreement and stay open in Canada, have filed a request to decertify the union.
A decision on the matter could come as early as this week. The Quebec Labour Relations Commission has also scheduled a hearing for next Monday. The request was made in February.
The high-profile decertification effort comes at a time when unionization in Quebec, among the most union-friendly provinces, is starting to dip.
Unlike in many other provinces and states, however, unions in Quebec still play a central role in civil society and politics.
Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:
We hope you like the changes!
- Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
- Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
- Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
- Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
- Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.
We hope you like the changes!
For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Site Administrator
- Posts: 3139
- Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:43 pm
- Location: Vancouver
Another Wal-Mart pending decertification in Saint-Hyacinthe, Que. A new one to watch as Quebec is historically union central.
Find - Desiderata - read it
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests