Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Bill 45 & 46 dodge union delays in Alberta

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bill 45 & 46 dodge union delays in Alberta

Postby NC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 am

Unions in Alberta are crying foul today as Alberta’s government passed Bills 45 & 46. The press is rampant with negativity from the big bunsiness unions throughout the Province.

Having just been drawn into the issue recently I went out and had a dig to see what I could see. In LabourTalk’s fashion, go ahead and form your own opinions.

Bill 45 – Public Sector Services Continuation Act
Bill 46 - Public Service Salary Restraint Act

Interesting stuff… if bearing a very Ayn Rand sort of name, but obviously going in the other direction.

NUPGE’s James Clancy has a few things to say:

Alberta's Bills 45 and 46: One of the worst attacks on labour rights in decades
These proposed laws are a blatant violation of Canadians' fundamental rights to freedom of association and expression as contained in Canada's Charter. Equally offensive is the undemocratic way the Redford government introduced the legislation and the dictatorial process by which it intends to pass the two anti-union laws.
Yeah James, but what about all the rights the unions are trampling all over every day?

What about the way Newfoundland and Labrador government stole the right to a secret ballot vote from the workers in that province? I don’t recall any hew and outcry from NUPGE about that bit of legislation that was rammed through in 3 days last year.

NUPGE is a National Union of Public and General Employees, so they are in Newfoundland and Alberta
Both Bills were introduced last week without any consultation with unions which will be impacted by the regressive legislation. The government introduced a motion to limit debate and enforce closure, even before the Bills were tabled in the legislature. This is unheard of in Canada – members of a legislature being asked to limit debate and enforce closure on draft legislation that they have not yet seen.
So… Newfoundland and Labrador is not “in Canada” James?

It is galling in the extreme when Clancy says, of his cause:
In tabling these two pieces of legislation, the Redford government has boldly demonstrated its willingness to negotiate in bad faith, ride roughshod over fundamental human rights of Canadians and ignore every international labour standard that our governments have set their signatures to.”
You can easily apply the exact statement to Newfoundland (NUPGE’s territory too) relative to the removal of the secret ballot vote:

In tabling these two this piece of legislation, the Redford Newfoundland government has boldly demonstrated its willingness to negotiate in bad faith, ride roughshod over fundamental human rights of Canadians and ignore every international labour standard that our governments have set their signatures to.”

Am I the only person seeing this hypocrisy or is it now so common for these business unions that we just accept it? Who are these people… really?

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Bill 45 & 46 dodge union delays in Alberta

Postby NC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:06 am

A great piece after reading nothing but the union side of this argument.

Union leaders get a taste of their own medicine

I think I would like Ms. Martinuk.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”