Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

LIUNA piece refuting "Right to Work" has two lives...

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

LIUNA piece refuting "Right to Work" has two lives...

Postby NC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Was John Grady's report written on the back of a previously leaked document... it looks like it.
PCO “RIGHT TO WORK” PLAN AN ATTACK ON MIDDLE CLASS

LiUNA Local 183 today released “The Reality of ‘Right to Work’: Putting Middle Class Out of Reach”, a paper by economist John O’Grady that refutes absolutely the “Right to Work” plan put forward for Ontario by Tim Hudak’s Progressive Conservatives.

The report done for Local 183 looks at both the Tories’ proposal and the Fraser Institute’s supporting paper from earlier this year and dismantles them piece-by-piece. “So-called ‘Right to Work’ is an attack on unions and the essential role they play in helping working families enjoy middle class life,” said Jack Oliveira, Business Manager for Local 183.

“Right to Work” reduces wages across the board, not just for unionized workers. Workplace injuries rise, pension plans wound up and benefits lost under these American-based initiatives.

The construction industry has been an economic success story for Ontario for over 25 years. It is creating jobs faster than the economy as a whole, has an excellent safety record, provides much-needed skills to thousands of people and provides excellent benefits to its members. “Right to Work” would put all of this at risk.

“Tim Hudak has to explain why he wants to cut our pay and slash our benefits. He needs to explain why construction workers don’t belong in the middle class. What has he got against us?” asked Carlos Morais, a member of Local 183. Morais received two and a half years of free training from the union and is now an Interprovincial Red Seal Brick and Stone Mason.

LIUNA Local 183 is North America’s largest construction union, with over 40,000 members in the Greater Toronto Area, Barrie and Cobourg. Members work in construction including sewer and water main, residential, road construction, bridge building, pipeline, utilities and railroads.

For Information:

John Evans
General Counsel, LIUNA Local 183
(416) 241-1183 x6558 John O’Grady
Prism Economics & Analysis
(416)-652-0456
I love looking in a bit deeper to these sorts of "Research Papers". I downloaded this after seeing it on one of the RSS feeds I get. I have put a copy I downloaded from the LIUNA site this evening. I always start by looking at the document properties, you can sometimes see who *actually* writes the stuff.

My point here is that John O’Grady (The author) works at “Prism Economics and Analysis” and will probably be a bit pissed at whoever finalized that thing for release. Go ahead, open the linked document, then go to “Properties”.

It says it was written by “Bill Empey” the Managing Director at Prism but I guess Empey wrote something called “Literature Review and Expert Advice to Inform Canada’s Immigration Levels Planning: Final ReporT” (sic) and then someone somehow got them crossed. I guess Prism just flips the old reports over and writes on the back of them.

Then I thought, let’s Google that report name… it's pretty interesting. You find a document leaked in 2012 about the changes coming to the government’s immigration policies. So the Managing Director of a union friendly agency writes a government report that gets leaked to the press and then another union friendly report turns up with the same name. I am tired and don’t want to dig around anymore but it sure is weird. I think Prism should try a little harder.

Hopefully someone else can pick this up and do some sluething. I do know that I am going straight to the LIUNA site tomorrow to see if they still have the same version on their site.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: LIUNA piece refuting "Right to Work" has two lives...

Postby green1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to contact the alleged authors and ask their take on it?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: LIUNA piece refuting "Right to Work" has two lives...

Postby NC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 am

That would be an uncomfortable place to stand, and just for the sake of knowing... I think it was a clerical mistake, I just find it odd that Prism appear to be so closely tied to "dirty" stuff like this, and then is not smart enough to watch out for it.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”