Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

UFCW and scabs

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

UFCW and scabs

Postby NC » Sun May 27, 2007 8:47 am

This is an undated, though recent letter from a UFCW President in California that typifies what union's think about the rights of their members - in particular Scabs.

UFCW Threat Letter

Find - Desiderata - read it

WonderWoman
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: UFCW and scabs

Postby WonderWoman » Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 am

This is an undated, though recent letter from a UFCW President in California that typifies what union's think about the rights of their members - in particular Scabs.

UFCW Threat Letter
Awww NC, let's not twist words here. This is not what the Union thinks of it's members, It is plain and simply put, what they think of scabs.

Are Scabs members? Let's not get into this debate as it is pointless. At least Unions give second chances to those who break the rules. In most clubs and organizations, If you break the rules, you are out, no second chances. It is done.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:12 pm

If you break the rules, you are out,
they can throw me out any time they want! but they won't, they keep taking my dues regardless of how many "rules" I break...

WonderWoman
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby WonderWoman » Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 pm

If you break the rules, you are out,
they can throw me out any time they want! but they won't, they keep taking my dues regardless of how many "rules" I break...
You can be kicked out if you want, You become a member in bad standing, If you don't deal with the repercussions of becoming a member in bad standing, you will always be kicked out.

Your Dues don't pay for your club membership, that's what the $5 when you sign your card does, Dues pay for having the benefit of working under a collective agreement negotiated by the the union and the representation and protections you are guaranteed under said agreement.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Dues pay for having the benefit of working under a collective agreement negotiated by the the union and the representation and protections you are guaranteed under said agreement.
I will GLADY give up said "advantage" and save the dues money...
the "protection" is the same sort of "protection" the mob asks for from business owners... it's just union-speak for extortion.
if you don't like the fact that I don't play by your rules, then I won't be a member of your club. that's not going to make me obey your ridiculous rules though.

walkin
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

UFCW and Scabs

Postby walkin » Tue May 29, 2007 5:04 am

Green1 you applied for and were hired for a union position. You don't have to follow the rules if you don't want to. (But I bet you take all the PDO days you are entitled to and stats that the managers don't get.). But you need to pay union dues because of being in a Bargaining Unit position. If you don't want to pay union dues, you need to go into a management position or leave Telus. Very simple.

want2know
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: UFCW and Scabs

Postby want2know » Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 am

(But I bet you take all the PDO days you are entitled to and stats that the managers don't get.)
I'de gladly give these up to not be associated with the TWU in anyway...The TWU is like a coffee stain that won't go away. :lol:

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:02 am

Speaking of dues, when is this debt supposed to be paid off? When are our dues suppose to go back to what they were? Since nothing is posted on the shop floor and we have no union reps anymore (or at least non that are vocal or going to meetings) would someone please post it here? I think this is going to be another income tax that just won't ever be finished. I looked on the TWU website, looks like we are a union run by a lot of committees. (Incompetent leaders?) Those committees cost money. Was that how it was done to get the current ec in? Just promise all your supporters a place at the trough. It also hasn't gone un-noticed.

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: UFCW and Scabs

Postby wonderer » Tue May 29, 2007 4:30 pm

I'de gladly give these up to not be associated with the TWU in anyway
Sounds like want2know should be applying on all available management positions, no?

The wonderer

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Tue May 29, 2007 4:33 pm

It also hasn't gone un-noticed.
Have you gone to your regular local meetings to ask these questions? And if it hasn't gone un-noticed, what are you going to do about it?

C'mon wimpole1, you are beginning to look like you're just all talk and no action.

The wonderer

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:43 pm

(But I bet you take all the PDO days you are entitled to and stats that the managers don't get.)
I took one PDO last year... and I don't really get much of a choice as to whether I "take" the stats... but funilly enough the managers DO get those around here...

and I never applied for a union job. One was forced on me (I was reclassified by a union greedy for more members, nobody asked me.)
if the union doesn't want me they can feel free to reclassify me out of the bargaining unit again!

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 am

Wonderer: you have got it all wrong. It is not what I am going to do about it. I have just brought it to your attention. I am but one.(I am not a crew). There is 13,000 out there that want answers. They want direction. They have not even had an address from the new president since he was anointed. What gives?
There is a Benevolent meeting suppose to be coming up. Where and when I ask. No one knows. Is it true that members in the west can't get their $1000,00. retirement cheque because of no funds? And the rumour is, that a member or two was denied a meager loan of 400 dollars, to tied them over? I don't care what criteria you use. If 400 dollars makes a different between me paying my grocery bill or rent, this executive has no business telling me that I don't have a right to that measly (by ec standards) 400 dollars to get me by. This is told by the same exec. that is living on their 80,000 plus expenses to fly, hotels,etc. Give mel a break. The TWU is broke because of the highfalutin antics of the new exec. Forget about the members asking for what is rightfully theirs. How much is in the benevolent fund people? Start asking!!!

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:25 pm

This tells a lot about the defenders, on this site, of the executive council of the Teeny,Weeny, Union, we have had forced on us. The defenders can't even come forward with a sane argument for these denials.
Why don't these,defenders head back to vfcert and play in their own yard. When I read that betterbegone believes that everyone on this site is a scab, or a scab supporter, I get the creeps. It shows how much those members know about the membership and how dues paying members feel. I have never scabbed and never would. NC has allowed my tirades for over a year. I have never been blacklisted and yet nc and I come from very different perspectives on Labour vs free enterprise.
I think that is mature. The ec has no answers. That is why they are going to safe meetings where there will be no hard questions. yay george and friends, giggle, giggle.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:17 pm

So if George or any other of the EC are to show at your local's meetings, are you going to go and ask the hard questions that you pose here?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 pm

CL: Are you asking me to help the new pres. (who did say,again through the vine) that he wanted to be pres. And he wanted the opportunity to learn the position after he was elected. I wish someone would post his resume on here. Then we would see how qualified, this person who got elected, was. CL you can't be that blind. It's okay to admit you backed the wrong horse. There is no shame. I've had to admit that to myself.

Return to “General Discussion”