Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

You have a "Ratification Vote" on June 4th.

Anything to do with Healthcare providers in Canada. Care-Aids, Nurses, CSW's PSW's, Home Health, Hospice, Long Term, Acute Care, anything like that.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You have a "Ratification Vote" on June 4th.

Postby NC » Thu May 29, 2014 12:41 pm

It was announced to us here on the Board today that the SEIU and CBI/Cancare have come up with a proposed collective agreement. This means the PSW's from both CBI & Cancare have to decide whether to vote Yes, and "ratify" the collective agreement, or to vote no, and turn it down.

This vote will be taken of all CBI & Cancare PSW's but will be decided by only those who vote. In other words, if there are 600 PSW's and only 200 vote then the majority of *that* 200 decide about whether the agreement will be ratified. So, 101 votes to accept the agreement will mean all 600 have to accept the agreement. I say this to make sure you all get out and vote.

I know you guys tried to decertify and missed by very few votes and I know about half of you (Cancare) were originally forced into the union without a vote and so are pretty pissed about how this has turned out. If this agreement is ratified you are bound by it's contents so whatever you feel, make sure you know all the facts. I have heard that CBI (original unionized group) did not help in the desertification so they probably think the SEIU is a great idea, and who knows... maybe the deal will be a really good one, but I doubt the SEIU will let you see it before you have to vote so basically, you will be voting on an agreement that you have never seen. I guess this means you have to think about other stuff to decide.

Hopefully a few of you will put your questions and comments up here for the folks you work with to read and discuss but that said, not many of you can actually post, only read.

Regardless, I will be watching the board closely to make sure that anyone who wants to post gets to. If you have any questions that you are not comfortable asking (even thought the site is anonymous) you can email them to me and I will get them up as quick as I can. I have a regular job so be patient if it takes a little while. "nc at labourtalk dot org"

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: You have a "Ratification Vote" on June 4th.

Postby NC » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Well, that was quick.

Do I get to vote, I am.... (etcetera)

If you work for CBI or Cancare as a PSW then you can vote. The union, or another employee may tell you that because you do not support the union, or have never signed a union card that you cannot vote, this is not true. I will try to find the "bargaining unit" description for the CBI/Cancare group and post it here. If you applied for a decertification then you had t5o have this "bargaining unit" description written down somewhere. Post that is you have it. I will try to find it online.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 am

What nc says is important. Unions try to inflate their numbers by telling you you can't vote if you haven't signed your union card. This is a blatant lie. Everyone who will fall under the collective agreement gets to vote on ratification votes (and strike votes) per Canadian law. If you don't agree with the union don't sign a card just to vote.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:08 pm

I forgot about that, thanks Green. They will tell everyone that you have to sign a card to vote and if you have signed a decert petition, that new card will be dated later than the signature on the petition so it will cancel your petition signature. All you need to know is that if you work for Cancare or CBI in the Hamilton area, you can vote.

Good remembering. (Green has been through this as a Telus employee)

I think the way you guys have to look at it is, if you support the union and want them to stick around, vote "yes" to "ratify" the agreement. If you do not support the union and want them gone, vote no - plain and simple.

If you ratify the agreement, you will close the decertification window and it will not open again until some time, probably late in 2015, maybe early 2016.

Oh yeah, if you ratify, you will start paying dues, which I think are somewhere around 1.8%. Cancare employees have not had t pay dues yet, because they have never had a Collective Agreement.

pswhamilton
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
Union: seiu

Postby pswhamilton » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Well we all know which way I am going to vote, I personally find it very fishy that we have not seen what is in the new contract. My understanding is that not 1 person was at the negotiations from the cancare/cbi office to represent us. I am also understanding that we will have to pay a fee of 50.00-100.00 to sign up. Another issue I have is that we have never had 1 union meeting since we were forced into the union. All the seiu cares about is the all mighty dues dollar and not the employees.

pswhamilton
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
Union: seiu

Postby pswhamilton » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:43 pm

so in other words vote yes if you want union vote no if you don't want the union

Return to “General Discussion - Health Care”